[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa bindings

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Apr 15 09:36:17 PDT 2003

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Thomas F. Burdick wrote:

> I've been using OpenMCL for a project on Mac OS X for a while, and
> we're at the point where we need visualization tools.  We'd like to
> use Cocoa, and I've read theat OpenMCL supports Cocoa, but looking
> through the docs, I don't see any mention of it.  Any pointers on
> getting started would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,
>
> -Thomas

The closest that the docs come to mentioning Cocoa is to say something
like 'there are examples in the "ccl:examples;" directory'.

One of those examples (which can be run by doing:

? (require "COCOA")

) is a primitive-but-functional IDE (with listener & editor windows
that understand basic Emacs cursor-movement commands but very little
that would make them truly useful for lisp development.)

There's also an inspector example (which loads on top of the basic
COCOA example) and some information about how to create a bundled
double-clickable OSX app from the example.)

Someone also contributed an example that provides an interface between
OpenMCL and fscript (www.fscript.org); fscript provides SmallTalk-like
scripting for Cocoa.

There isn't much more in the way of documentation (besides a README
file in the examples directory and comments in the source code).

The stuff that's there is just a low-level interface to the ObjC runtime;
while ObjC strikes me as being a very reasonable C extension, it's not
quite like programming in Lisp.  It'd certainly be nicer to be able to
say:

? (make-instance 'window)

than to say:

[[(@class "window") "alloc"] "init"]

but something like the latter pretty much needs to be there (somewhere)
in order for the former to work ...