[Openmcl-devel] 0.14 sources

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Aug 30 02:28:21 PDT 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, John DeSoi wrote:

> What GUI CVS client do you think is best?

I actually use the "PCL-CVS" interface in [X]Emacs, and generally like
it. (And yes, it just barely qualifies as a "GUI" client.)

What's "best" depends a lot on what one wants.  Some clients have
reasonably good support for MacOS line termination and HFS type/creator
codes; that's not generally important for something like OpenMCL, but
might still be for other projects.

In the typical cycle of doing updates and commits, one of the most
important things that a CVS client can do (I think) is to draw your
attention to cases where your local copy of things doesn't match
the repository.  The old version of MacCVS Pro was not very good
at this; there was a menu option that'd "Find Lurkers", but I always
thought that this was the client's job, not the user's ...

CVL (http://www.sente.ch/software/cvl) seems to do a good job of
presenting this information; it seems to be a port of a NeXTStep
application, and so doesn't deal with "classic" MacOS issues.  I've
played around with it a little and it seems to do the things that I
think are important well; it also seems to be actively maintained
(there's a version that works under Panther preleases.)

There are a few other clients that I know even less about ...