[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL.app on panther

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Thu Dec 4 11:58:36 PST 2003

On Dec 4, 2003, at 12:37 PM, Gary Byers wrote:

> Someone else ran into this symptom a few weeks ago.  In their case,
> the problem was that the bundle directory "ccl:OpenMCL.app;" - which
> is part of the source distribution - wasn't installed.

I might add the following footnote: When Openmcl.app is launched, its
name in the menu bar is OpenMCL, but its name in the dock is dppccl.
This is because the executable running is dppccl.

If you make OpenMCL standalone and rename
OpenMCL.app/Contents/MacOS/dppccl to
OpenMCL.app/Contents/MacOS/OpenMCL, then OpenMCL's name in the Dock
will match its name in the menu bar (i.e., "OpenMCL"). However, if you
then try to execute (require 'cocoa) or try to load
ccl/examples/cocoa.lisp, OpenMCL will die with:
RegisterProcess failed (error = -50)
I don't believe that this was the case under Jaguar, but I may be
misremembering. It clearly is the case under Panther, however.

Changing the name back to dppccl fixes this problem. If you want the
Dock name and menu bar name to match, you can make a separate copy of
OpenMCL.app with dppccl renamed to OpenMCL, and place it somewhere
other than the ccl directory, such as /Applications. This however,
leads to another problem - failure of certain files to autoload when
needed since openmcl is looking for them in a relative directory which
isn't there.

I'm sure there would be other ways to fix this minor inconsistency, but
I'm equally sure that Gary and Randall would have more definitive fixes
than I might cook up.

Raf

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.
raffaelcavallaro at mac.com