[Openmcl-devel] New 0.14 binaries

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sat Dec 20 07:49:31 PST 2003

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On Dec 20, 2003, at 9:16 AM, Gary Byers wrote:
>
> > This is mostly an opportunity to package the last month's worth of
> > bug fixes; the fixes and other changes are described at:
> >
> > <http://openmcl.clozure.com/Distributions/openmcl-release-0.14
> > -031220.html>
>
> As per your request that we inform you of any potential problems with
> making this the stable branch, I'm reporting the following problem:
>
> After installing 0.14-031220, and executing (require
> 'cocoa-application), I do not get a double clickable OpenMCL.app. This
> is under Mac OS 10.3.2 (Panther, latest rev). The OpenMCL.app will
> launch if called from the command line dppccl by (require 'cocoa), but
> it will not launch from the Finder.

If you're seeing the same thing that I'm seeing, the console log
will show about 150 break loop messagee to the effect that
"a dead Mac pointer isn't a MACPTR, while executing
CCL::%ASSOCIATE-JMP-BUF-WITH-CATCH-FRAME".  That certainly doesn't
sound like an esoteric caching problem; it -does- sound like a
mundane "how-did-I-screw-this-up-this-time ?" problem.  I suspect
that there are any number of answers to that question.

> The last version for which I could reliably build a double-clickable
> OpenMCL.app was 0.14-031108. Since then, using sources from CVS, and
> now, these latest binary and source tar balls, results in the problem
> I've noted above.
>
> Is there something that needs to be modified in the info.plist or
> somesuch? Again, I do not think that this is merely a caching problem,
> as it persists between reboots.

The caching that I'm suspicious of is done by LaunchServices; the
cache in question is maintained in a file in /Library/Caches (the file
name seems to vary between Panther and Jaguar A lot of the information
that the OS uses when launching a bundled application comes from that
cache; the Info.plist file and other sources of information aren't
consulted of that cached information appears to be valid.  When it
isn't all confused about why we're making it look at all of these
dead MACPTRs, the product of the COCOA-APPLICATION demo has changed
some of the information in the bundle (among other things, the
executable file really is executable), but it's not clear that
the LS cache entry for the bundle gets updated to fully reflect that.
I haven't seen the symptoms you reported earlier in a long time;
I have seen them (dock icon name) before, but apparently my
LS cache is caching different things than yours is.

Before exploring that any further, it'd probably be a good idea to
get the dead MACPTR and related problems straightened out.