[Openmcl-devel] Faceless Background Server Behavior

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Thu Jan 9 02:40:18 PST 2003

Some years ago I too wrote a TelnetInputStream and TelnetOutputStream
in Java that was similary minimal in that it answered NO to most
negociation options: that code is still in production today at a
client's site, used by up to 40 clients each day. I never ran in size
problems, but I can imagine they exist.

But I was not so much interested in a faithfull implementation of
telnet (although I agree that it would be useful, even a minimal one).
What I would like is the remote listener interface (using telnet at the
client side is more like a convenience, options should not really be an
issue).

I was looking at
http://www.franz.com/support/tech_corner/telnetserver.lhtml
and reading the code in l1-readloop[-lds].lisp and friends (hard ;-).
Maybe setting *terminal-io* to some socket stream and starting
(toplevel) could do it ? Probably very much oversimplified...

When I find some more time, I will try something, and I will ask again
how to wire it to the openmcl toplevel.

Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:sven at beta9.be
Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be
.Mac - svc at mac.com - http://homepage.mac.com/svc