[Openmcl-devel] Any trick to compiling current sources using 0.13.3?

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Jan 31 05:14:11 PST 2003

Sorry.

I got rid of the forward reference problem that you ran into and checked
that change into CVS.  I was then able to build the current CVS version
from 0.13.3:

% mkdir work
% cd work
% cvs -d :pserver:cvs at clozure.com:/usr/local/publiccvs get ccl
% ftp clozure.com
# get 0.13 binary, interface archives
% tar foxvz openmcl-darwinppc-bin-0.13.3.tar.gz
% tar foxvz openmcl-darwin-interfaces.tar.gz
% cd ccl
% ./dppccl
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.13.3!
? (compile-ccl t)
? (xload-level-0 :force)
? (quit)
% ./dppccl ppc-boot.image
? (save-application "dppccl.image")
% ./dppccl
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.13.4!
?

There shouldn't be any compilation warnings (except for possible warnings
about missing fasls).

There's one changed kernel source file (m4macros.m4), which contains
the new LLGPL licensing notice and some (preliminary) support for
dealing with the AIX assembler.  There shouldn't be any functional
changes in the kernel.

There are about half a dozen post-0.13.3 bug fixes in the current
CVS sources and there are some internal changes to the fasloader (that're
actually easy to bootstrap.)  I'm not sure what you ran into (aside from
the forward-reference problem) or why XCOMPILE-CCL would have yielded
different results in this case; perhaps the loader's complaining about
an old or missing .dfsl.  In any case, I just went through the procedure
above and things seemed to work as expected.

I think that the current CVS sources are going to be pretty close to
the 0.13.4 sources and that some of those half-dozen bugs are severe
enough that there'll be 0.13.4 binaries available real soon.