[Openmcl-devel] new 0.14 binaries (finally!)

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Jul 8 19:06:56 PDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, Gary Byers wrote:
> [...]
> > #P"/Volumes/Temporary/portableaserve-openmcl-0.14/aserve/macs.dfsl"...
> > ;Compiling
> > "/Volumes/Temporary/portableaserve-openmcl-0.14/aserve/main.cl"...
> >  > Error in process listener(1): Unknown type specifier:
> > CCL::COMPILER-FUNCTION-OVERFLOW
> >  > While executing: CCL::%%TYPEP
> >  > Type :POP to abort.
> > Type :? for other options.
> > 1 >
> >

> This is reproducible and seems to be a newly-introduced bug in the
> hash table code (introduced in yesterday's binaries.)

It was a hash-table bug: when hashing a symbol, it's perfectly reasonable
to use the symbol's pname - which is a relatively unique immutable attribute
of the symbol - to derive a hash key.  It's not OK to use N random bytes
that happen to be sitting near the symbol in memory ...

It's not surprising that this caused bugs; it's a little surprising that it
didn't cause a lot more/a lot worse.

It's fixed in CVS; I'll try to put new binaries together in a little while.