[Openmcl-devel] new 0.14 binaries (finally!)

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Jul 8 19:36:15 PDT 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003, John DeSoi wrote:

> > I'm not sure how mature or well-tested those native-thread changes are;
> > perhaps (if the current CVS paserve is indeed running on multiple
> > platforms again) the OpenMCL-0.14 testing-and-example-of-how-to-use-
> > native-threads version should be derived from the current CVS paserve
> > instead of that year+ old release.
>
> Yes, I was not aware of this example and I have not seen any patches
> for it in CVS. I knew Eric was not running the CVS version because of
> the directory paths. If some one will provide me a pointer to the
> paserve/native threads example, I'll incorporate them in the next round
> of changes.

Diffs relative to portableaserve-1.2.12c are in:

<ftp://clozure.com/pub/testing/portableaserve-1.2.12c-openmcl-0.14-030415.diff>

A distribution with those patches applied is in:

<ftp://clozure.com/pub/testing/portableaserve-openmcl-0.14-030415.tar.gz>

The bizarre error that Eric reported was new as of yesterday; the problem
with the redefinition of IP-ADDR-TO-DOTTED (IIRC) has been there for a
while, so I'm not sure how widely tested this has been.  (I pounded on
it fairly hard for a few days last spring, but I was doing a limited
set of things.)

In version 1.2.12c, there are changes in the portability layer and in
the mainline code: the main server listen/accept function uses semaphores
and other constructs (instead of PROCESS-ADD-RUN-REASON, etc.) to
synchronize with the client threads.  I -think- that it's fairly reasonable
and understandable; I confess that I was more interested in making an
example of how to do thread synchronization in 0.14 than in keeping paserve
maintainable ...