[Openmcl-devel] Re: MOP support and porting UncommonSQL

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Mar 17 14:30:46 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Tim Moore wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Mar 2003, Gary Byers wrote:
> >
> > I know that someone has done a (mostly if not entirely) MOP-compliant
> > ENSURE-CLASS for MCL (and a modified DEFCLASS that expands into code
> > that calls it and some other related functionality); it's designed to
> > be a patch loaded on top of MCL's CLOS implementation, but I think
> > that it'd be fairly easy to drop it in to OpenMCL.
>
> You might be thinking of the work John Wiseman did to get McCLIM running
> on OpenMCL.  His code is in the McCLIM sources.
>
> Tim

I was thinking of something someone else has done; I think that John's
patch was only intended to handle the case(s) that McCLIM needs, and
the other code seems to be more nearly complete.

It seems important to ensure that:
  a) once it's integrated, the new ENSURE-CLASS does as much of what
the MOP says it should as is practical at this point (including
satisfing the needs of systems like McCLIM that have had to work
around its absence)
  b) there be some way of advising those systems that they don't
have to work around that anymore (something like an
:OPENMCL-FINALLY-HAS-ENSURE-CLASS feature, though there might be a
better option.)