[Openmcl-devel] Using Cocoa with MCL

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Thu May 8 12:32:44 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 8, 2003, at 08:56 PM, Randall Beer wrote:

> or (a fairly direct Lispification of the ObjC names and method
> structure)
>
> (make-instance 'ns-window
>     :init-with-content-rect graphicsRect
>     :styleMask
>     (bit-ior *ns-titled-window-mask*
>                  *ns-closable-window-mask*
>                  *ns-miniaturizable-window-mask*)
>     :backing *ns-backing-store-buffered*
>     :defer nil)
> (send w :set-title "My Window")

I think this style would be best. Doesn't it resemble how you approach
cocoa programming from java ? If I remember it correctly, the objc-java
bridge is automatically (automagically?) generated from the original
header files.

This style strikes me as a nice compromise: if it could be auto
generated, you can track the libraries much better, maybe it would even
be possible to autogenerate documentation... On the other hand, it
feels almost like lisp, and it would still be possible to convert objc
or java code to lisp.

A point that I missed in this discussion is how to map the cocoa memory
management to a full gc'ed world. I always wondered how they do it in
the objc-java bridge. What I hate about objc/cocoa is this stupied
retain/release stuff - could we make it go away ?

Sven

Sven Van Caekenberghe - mailto:sven at beta9.be
Beta Nine - software engineering - http://www.beta9.be
.Mac - svc at mac.com - http://homepage.mac.com/svc