[Openmcl-devel] Using Cocoa with MCL

Timothy Moore moore at bricoworks.com
Thu May 15 23:57:01 PDT 2003

On Thursday, May 15, 2003, at 09:21  AM, Gary Byers wrote:

> I've heard people (myself included) express interest in seeing a
> Cocoa-based McCLIM (mcclim.cliki.net) backend.  Tim Moore (one of the
> McCLIM developers) has also expressed interest in this; we poked
> around a few months ago and found that the fact that Cocoa really
> wants to handle events and drawing in a single, distinguished thread
> is at odds with McCLIM's current window/thread model.  Unless I'm
> misquoting him, Tim's indicated a willingness to change things (or at
> least decouple things) so that McCLIM is less sensitive to the
> backend's threading model; unless I'm misquoting him again, he's also
> indicated that he thought that something higher-level than the
> FFI/reader macros would make development of a Cocoa backend for McCLIM
> a lot easier.

You're mostly quoting me correctly, though I don't remember saying that
something higher level than the current ObjC FFI would help the McCLIM
effort.  I actually think the current macros are pretty cool.

I did say that, though I think the CLIM paradigm is great, it wouldn't
be very satisfying to do serious Cocoa programming within the CLIM
framework.

Tim