[Openmcl-devel] stream-reader replacement

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Apr 9 14:33:29 PDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Gary King wrote:

> I'm porting some more MCL code to OpenMCL and can't figure out what I
> should use as a replacement for ccl::stream-reader. Is there one?

No. CCL::STREAM-READER and and CCL::STREAM-WRITER returned functions
that could be called to avoid some generic-function dispatch and
other overhead.  It seemed better to try to minimize that overhead
than to add another layer to things; if you want to do I/O really
quickly, you don't do it a byte/character at a time, anyway.  (Much
of that element-at-a-time overhead is related to locking; it's
generally more expensive to grab a lock and use UNWIND-PROTECT
to release the lock than it is to grab a character out of a buffer
and increment a counter ...)

> Also, Is there documentation specific to OpenMCL streams and the
> differences between them and MCL streams? Should I just look at the
> documentation for Grey streams?

David Gray's original email messages are as close as anything I know
of to "documentation for Gray streams"; they're available in:

<ftp://clozure.com/pub/stream-definition-by-user.mail>

I'm not sure how much of this you'd need to know unless you're
implementing a stream class.