[Openmcl-devel] single float support in OpenMCL

Gary King gwking at cs.umass.edu
Mon Aug 23 14:37:00 PDT 2004

It's my understanding that unlike MCL, OpenMCL supports both IEEE
single and double floats. If this is correct, is there some fast
mechanism to test a number for single-float-hood (similar to
ccl::double-float-p)?

Thanks,
--
Gary Warren King, Lab Manager
EKSL East, University of Massachusetts * 413 577 0176

But with C++ and Java, the dynamic thinking fostered by object-oriented
languages was nearly fatally assaulted by the theology of static
thinking inherited from our mathematical heritage and the assumptions
built into our views of computing by Charles Babbage whose
factory-building worldview was dominated by omniscience and
omnipotence.

And as a result we find that object-oriented languages have succumb to
static thinkers who worship perfect planning over runtime adaptability,
early decisions over late ones, and the wisdom of compilers over the
cleverness of failure detection and repair.
   -- Richard P. Gabriel, OOPSLA, November 6, 2002