[Openmcl-devel] :address ffi type spec

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Aug 25 05:31:55 PDT 2004

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004, Marco Baringer wrote:

> in using uffi i see that it (uffi) converts pointer to object type
> specs into (:address :whatever). i've empiricly discovered (and the
> docs seem to confirm this) that it should be (:* :whatever). is the
> presence of :address in uffi just bit rot or am i missing something
> important?

:ADDRESS is supposed to be shorthand for (:* :void); it doesn't make
sense to give :ADDRESS an argument, and I'd hope that something, somewhere
would complain about that.

> does openmcl's ffi have any particular support for cstrings i sholud
> know about? i'm currently using  (:* :char), which works great.

I think that (:* :char) is the best that you can do; there's no way of
saying "pointer to char with an eventual trailing #\NUL.".