[Openmcl-devel] Re: Hemlock performance investigation

Hamilton Link hamlink at comcast.net
Fri Aug 27 08:58:34 PDT 2004

Back-of-the-envelope is fine, but I am profiling and tracking the total
time spent within various functions and the number of times they're
called.

character-at-index is being called across the whole file on every
keystroke. Opening a file, it looks like it's being called about 34
times per character in the file (which is a little odd), but then it
settles down to scanning across the entire file once every keystroke.
At 4.5e-5 s per call, in a 5000-character file, this makes about a .25
second delay per keystroke and the bulk of the delay per, and adds up
to tens of seconds in the course of typing a couple of lines, so it's
where most of the time is going.

Is this wrong? possibly the scope or frequency of repeated scanning (by
ObjC, not by anyone in lisp -- there are only two callers of this
function in the lisp side and they don't call it very often) could be
reduced, for example if we're using begin/end editing messages
improperly. Everyone is free to look into it.