[Openmcl-devel] Hemlock text display

Hamilton Link hamlink at comcast.net
Sun Aug 29 20:28:56 PDT 2004

> Aside from paren matching and syntax coloring, is there anything that
> we should think about
> adding, like inline controls or something, that might be very useful?
> COCOA, for example, has
> the ability to put attachments into the text stream. I can't think of
> a reason why that would be useful
> in a lisp IDE, but it might.

I think the ream of things that are currently spewing undefined
function warnings may include some good candidates, since they would
not be getting reimpmlemented (though if there is carving-out involved
I'd advise against it).

If it can do a reasonable job of syntax coloring that'd be OK, as long
as character widths don't get tweaked (my main irritation about this
feature in whatever init I've loaded into MCL to do this) and as long
as the guiding principle for coloration is the MDC threshold (Minimal
Detectable Change -- no vibrant neon or pastel pale gray please).

I know there are callback functions that support querying a model to
determine how much of what to select at a time so it might be possible
to do sexp selection from the Cocoa components by calling back into the
paren-matching code directly instead of solely going through Hemlock's
key bindings.
    But that's just it, I don't think it's a great idea to make the
Cocoa side of things hugely lisp-aware, that's what most of the code in
Hemlock is there for. Where a little lisp-awareness will go a long way
to make Hemlock not care about the View, or where the editor can be
easily made to shortcut stages in Hemlock by invoking its functionality
via callbacks, swell.

___However___ I'd personally like to see what exists already made to
work well before we start to make it fancy. The speed demon that is now
Hemlock has a panic sheet that pops up whenever I look at the screen
funny, and I'd like the sources of those occurrences to be eliminated
first. Then I'd like to be able to easily invoke the inspector,
backtrace, etc. and _then_ we can add neat doohickies to the IDE, and
we'll have a lot better idea where the shortcomings are and what the
user base is hot to have. (right now it seems to me that there is no
user base because there are too many editor-generated errors, first
things first eh? as soon as we have enough users to have one other than
me realize the inspector stinks I'll fix it, right now I can't hardly
stand editing code)