[Openmcl-devel] socket / IPC question

Gary King gwking at cs.umass.edu
Thu Feb 19 12:31:59 PST 2004

I'd like to build a client/server set up where the client and server
can be:

() on two different computers
() in two different Lisps on the same computer
() in two different processes in the same Lisp

It seems that using sockets would be the way to go here but my
knowledge of socket based programming is weak at best. I've looked at
Sven Van Caekenberghe's remote-repl (which is pretty darn cool) but
what I don't know how to do is to connect to remote REPL from another
Lisp (rather than telnet) or from another thread in the same Lisp.

If anyone can point me towards good socket programming references,
examples of doing what I'd like to do, better ideas, etc... then I'm
all ears.

Thanks,
--
Gary Warren King, Lab Manager
EKSL East, University of Massachusetts * 413 577 0176

All Windows users: Please be aware that there is a new unknown worm
spreading itself via email.  (Mac and Linux users don't have to read
this email)
   -- typical computing support e-mail