[Openmcl-devel] 0.13.x vs. 0.14.x

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Sun Jan 4 22:52:28 PST 2004

On Sun, 4 Jan 2004, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On Jan 4, 2004, at 7:13 PM, Gary Byers wrote:
>
> > Recent versions of of paserve use asdf (and are conditionalized for
> > :openmcl-native-threads).  AFAIK, those recent versions are only
> > available via CVS; see
> > <http://sourceforge.net/projects/portableaserve>.
>
> Thanks. After loading paserve, and example.cl, I get the following
> error:
>
> ? (aserve-example::start-server :port 2001 :chunking nil)
>  > Error in process listener(1): value NIL is not of the expected type
> FIXNUM.
>  > While executing: CCL::%SHARED-INITIALIZE
>  > Type :POP to abort.
> Type :? for other options.
> 1 > ?

Sourceforge's CVS server seems to be acting up at the moment, and the
couple-of-months-old version of paserve that I have didn't define the
class ACL-COMPAT.SOCKET::SERVER-SOCKET.  From what I can tell from the
Web CVS interface, the PORT slot of an ACL-COMPAT.SOCKET::SERVER-SOCKET
has a :TYPE of FIXNUM, and the backtrace you sent indicates that it's
being passed explicitly as NIL.

The function MAKE-SOCKET (in acl-compat/mcl/acl-socket-openmcl.lisp)
accepts a :PORT argument (defaulting its value to NIL) and tries to
make an instance of a SERVER-SOCKET with this :PORT.  NET.ASERVE:START
doesn't pass a :PORT argument to MAKE-SOCKET (it passes :LOCAL-PORT);
so MAKE-SOCKET tries to pass :PORT NIL (as we see.)  Signaling a
type error at this point is probably better than failing in some more
obscure way a little later.

> Note that I get the same error if I execute:
>
> (aserve-example::start-server :port 2001)
>
> that is, without the suggested :chunking nil, so I think the error has
> nothing to do with the suggestion in INSTALL.lisp that start-server be
> called with :chunking nil under openmcl.

Someone seems to have added chunking support for openmcl recently.
The CVS checkin comment notes that they accepted a speed loss in
doing so; in my model of things, that seems to defeat one of the
main purposes of using chunked transfer encoding.

Some of these changes seem to have been made just before the holidays;
that's certainly my excuse for bugs in 0.14-031220 ...