[Openmcl-devel] 0.13.x vs. 0.14.x

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jan 5 13:06:06 PST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> On Jan 5, 2004, at 1:52 AM, Gary Byers wrote:
>
> > Someone seems to have added chunking support for openmcl recently.
> > The CVS checkin comment notes that they accepted a speed loss in
> > doing so; in my model of things, that seems to defeat one of the
> > main purposes of using chunked transfer encoding.
>
> Granted that this may not be the best, but does it at least work? I'm
> trying to get any version running, and what I get from cvs still has
> the same errors. Where can I get a version that works with openmcl
> 0.14-031220? Right now I'm using the module name portableaserve with
> cvs. Are you getting a different module? - i.e., am I getting the wrong
> version?
>
> In other words, please tell me how I can get a version that at least
> compiles and runs, - however suboptimal it's treatment of chunked
> transfer encoding ;^)

<ftp://clozure.com/testing/portableaserve/old/portableaserve-openmcl-native-threads-16-Oct-2003.tar.gz>

contains PortableAserve from SourceForge CVS, with changes for
#+openmcl-native-threads.  This is fairly near what got merged into
the SourceForge tree.

One of the changes in that .tar.gz file (that -didn't- get merged in to
the main sources) said #+openmcl when it needn't have, breaking things
on all other platforms.  (Hey, these things happen.  Whattayagonnado ?)

Please don't distribute this version (and please forget all about it
as soon as the main CVS branch is fixed.)

That version seems to compile (with one warning about an undefined
function that apparently can't really get called) and run fine, at
least when :chunking nil is in effect.

The person who did the more recent changes either subscribes to this
list or heard about the problems from someone who does; he said that
he'd try to integrate chunking support with the underlying
stream-buffering code in the lisp, which should make transferring some
types of data faster than it's been in previous pasever/openmcl
versions.