[Openmcl-devel] Allocate heap and call C question

Dan Knapp dankna at accela.net
Tue Jul 6 18:15:49 PDT 2004

   I don't have a lot to say on this question, but...

   If the language were to be extended, a more Lisp-like way would be to
offer a
special form which allocates an object outside the Lisp heap... but
with a
lifetime determined lexically, ie, lasting only until the body of the
form finishes
executing.  Behind the scenes, the deallocation would be done by having
unwind-protect call the appropriate function.

   I don't have an opinion yet on whether that would be a good thing;
but it
would certainly be better than using explicit deallocation.  You could
implement it yourself, Andrew, fairly easily.

-- Dan Knapp