[Openmcl-devel] Using the inspect command?

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Wed Jun 30 01:23:03 PDT 2004

"Andrew P. Lentvorski, Jr." <bsder at mail.allcaps.org> writes:

> Actually, I'm using openmcl with slime and xemacs.  Alternate ways of
> solving the same problem are always welcome; I'd love to know how
> to pop up that slime inspector.

the command is slime-inspect, by default it's bound to C-c I. It asks
for a form (which is evaled) to inspect. what i usually do is eval a
form which returns what i want to inspect and then type C-c I and
supply * as the object to inspect. once in the inspector ou can use
RET to inspect a part of the inspected object, l to retrun to the
previous object and (this is cool) M-RET to return (in the repl) a
part of the object your inspecting. if this doesn't make much sense
just play with it a bit.

One thing i get a kick out of: i get an error in some thread, i attach
a debugger to the thread (via slime-list-threads (bound to C-c C-x t)
and then use d to attach a debugger), go to the interesting frame and
list all the locals (via sldb-list-locals (bound to l)), inspect the
"interesting" value in the frame (via sldb-inspect-inframe (bound to
i)), use M-RET to get the object in the repl, fix (if possible) the
object, use the retry action (which i had to setup explicitly)
restart, watch the code work. :)

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.