[Openmcl-devel] Re: [Bug-openmcl] NSViewHierarchyLock Assertion failure

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri May 14 09:23:32 PDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> Here's tiny-loop.lisp:

Here's another version; it's probably not a good example of how to do
animation, and it may use enough CPU cycles to cause the occasional
PowerBook meltdown ...

All of the drawing happens in a separate, per-window thread.  A timer
wakes up every now and then (every 0.1d0 seconds, by default) and
runs an animation step; another timer is set to fire in the infinitely
distant future, but is manually fired when the window's about to close.
When the latter timer fires, the first timer is inalidated (so there
won't be any attempts to draw after the window closes) and the animation
thread exits.  I -think- that this is a fairly reliably way to prevent
drawing from happening after the window closes.

It seems to take more than 0.1d0 seconds to draw a frame on my iBook G4,
so the animation timer may want to have a longer interval.

The good news is that since all drawing takes place in an independent
thread, you should be able to have multiple animation windows onscreen
and animating themselves at the same time (I think that I've had 3 going
at the same time.)  The bad news is that the drawRect: method - used
to automatically update invalid view rectangles from the main thread -
is a no-op, so portions of the view that're exposed don't get redrawn
until the next animation cycle.  Fixing this is left as an excersise
(hint: don't allow the view's NUMSIDES instance variable to change
unless the view is locked for drawing.)