[Openmcl-devel] Getting inside a compiled-lexical-closure

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed May 19 04:18:09 PDT 2004

All memory-allocated lisp objects in OpenMCL that aren't CONS cells
(strings, functions, floats, bignums, processes, classes, instances,
MACPTRs, CL arrays, ...) are called "UVECTORS".  A UVECTOR is basically
a typed vector-like sequence of elements; the number of elements in
a UVECTOR is returned  by the function CCL:UVSIZE:

? (CCL:UVSIZE "abcd")
4
? (CCL:UVSIZE PI)
3		; a DOUBLE-FLOAT is 3 32-bit words, at this level

The function CCL:UVREF returns the I'th element of a UVECTOR:
? (CCL:UVREF "abcd" 0)
#\a
? (CCL:UVREF "abcd" 1)
#\b
? (CCL:UVREF "abcd" 4)
-> an error

CCL:UVREF can be used with SETF (and you can get yourself in all kinds of
trouble because of this ...)

It's not too hard to write a function that shows the contents of any
UVECTOR:

? (defun show-uvector (v)
    (dotimes (i (uvsize v) (values))
      (format t "~&~d: ~s" i (uvref v i))))

? (show-uvector "abcd")
0: #\a
1: #\b
2: #\c
3: #\d
?

A FUNCTION is just a special kind of uvector: the 0th element is a special
type of UVECTOR (a CODE-VECTOR) that contains machine instructions; the
last element is a fixnum that encodes information about the function,
and the intervening elements are constant lisp objects referenced by the
function and/or debugging information.

? (show-uvector #'show-uvector)
0: #<CODE-VECTOR #x536A0AE>
1: "~&~d: ~s"
2: FORMAT
3: (FUNCTION-SYMBOL-MAP (#(I #:G103 V) . #(31 56 140 575 52 140 63 28 140)))
4: SHOW-UVECTOR
5: 8388864

A lexical clozure is just a special kind of function (identified by
certain bit patterns in the fixnum in its last element).  The 0th
element is a special CODE-VECTOR, the 1st element is the "real"
function, the last element is a fixnum and the next-to-last is always
NIL, and the intervening elements (starting at element 2) are
values that the real function "inherits" from the lexical environment.
(If any of these values are SETQed, the value will actually be a
1-element UVECTOR of type VALUE-CELL, and the actual value will be
at (UVREF <that VALUE-CELL> 0).)

? (let ((a-list '(1 2 3))) (defun foobar (x) #'(lambda ()
                                               (append x (list-all-packages) a-\
list))))
FOOBAR
? (show-uvector #'foobar)
0: #<CODE-VECTOR #x10104D6>
1: #<Compiled-function FOOBAR (Non-Global)  #x536C86E>
2: (1 2 3)
3: NIL
4: 16777216

The number of closed-over/inherited values in a clozure is its UVIZE - 4
(1 in the example above)