[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa and other OS interfaces from OpenMCL

mikel evins mikel at evins.net
Wed Nov 3 22:35:53 PST 2004

On Nov 3, 2004, at 9:29 PM, John Wiseman wrote:

> I want to play around with Rendezvous in OpenMCL, but even after
> reading a book or two on Cocoa I still feel like I'm in unfamiliar
> territory.  Like, I don't even know if I should program to the Core
> Foundation API or the Cocoa API.
>
> My experiments with the Cocoa API have so far only been partially
> successful--I think I need to create a NSRunLoop, but when I run it it
> seems to get stuck.
>
> Can anyone describe why one might choose between Core Foundation and
> Cocoa in the context of interfacing from OpenMCL?

Choose CoreFoundation if you want to do a lot of very low-level stuff
by hand, and want the kind of control that comes from manipulating all
the fiddly little bits close to the implementation.

Choose Cocoa if you want a lot of that stuff to be done for you and
don't mind if some things are a little slower.

In some cases You effectively have to use Cocoa (or Carbon), or else
build a Cocoa-equivalent on top of CoreFoundation.

I am not clueful about Rendezvous programming, but I've had pretty good
luck with writing Cocoa and Carbon apps generally. Drop me a line if
you want to compare notes.

--me