[Openmcl-devel] saving data to a fasl file

Dan Knapp dankna at accela.net
Tue Nov 23 14:12:08 PST 2004

> The general idea (which might make reading the code in
> "ccl:xdump;faslenv.lisp", "ccl:level-0;nfasload.lisp", and
> "ccl:lib;nfcomp.lisp" easier to understand) is:

   Yeah, actually, I was looking the other day for a description of the
fasl
format, and I couldn't find one.  Not that I really needed to know,
but...
I'm going to add this email as a new section in the "Implementation"
chapter...  Is there anything (besides the source) that I could include
or link to for more details?  If not, don't bother writing anything up;
doubt the audience for it is large...

> The file name "nfasload.lisp" is so-called because this is the "new"
> fasloader.  It was "new" in 1986 or so.  The format could probably
> stand some modernization/overhaul; it would certainly need extensions
> to deal with 64-bit architectures, etc.

   I notice there's a lot of "ppc64" stuff in the source tree.  Does it
work?
What sort of systems is it intended for?

-- Dan Knapp