[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL 14.2.1 asdf-install

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Sep 3 11:01:31 PDT 2004

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Jeff Andrews wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm currently trying out OpenMCL and have tried to use
> "asdf-install", but to no avail.
>
> When I execute the (require :asdf-install) I get errors.  I read that
> "asdf-install" is already
> part of the OpenMCL distro.
>
> Here's a sample session
>
> ? (require :asdf)
> :ASDF
> ("ASDF")
> ? (require :asdf-install)
> >  Error in process listener(1): Is a directory :
> >#P"/usr/local/ccl/tools/asdf-install/"
> >  While executing: CCL::MAKE-FILE-STREAM
> >  Type :POP to abort.
> Type :? for other options.
> 1 >
>

> I also followed the "tutorial" but it doesn't work either.  Same thing.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff

There are two issues:

1) REQUIRE's somewhat stupid: if it find a directory whose name matches
   the module name, it complains about that (rather than ignoring the
   directory or doing something else more reasonable.)  There's a patch
   in CVS that (IIRC) ignores the directory in that case.

2) ASDF-INSTALL depends on ASDF, as the documentation explains.  ASDF
   isn't magically integrated into REQUIRE in OpenMCL (though I believe
   that people have suggested some ways that it could be.)

So, you have to:

a) explicitly require ASDF;

b) use ASDF to compile and/or load ASDF-INSTALL