[Openmcl-devel] more openmcl foreign ptr access issues

Cyrus Harmon ch-openmcl at bobobeach.com
Mon Sep 13 18:14:22 PDT 2004

Ok, I'm suitably scared. Now to consider other approaches and hopefully
find one that is less scary... I'm open to suggestions if anyone's got
any.

The (perhaps misguided) idea behind this whole thing was that one could
build some of the ffi machinery into some MOP machinery and be able to
get access to these facilities using a metaclass and some appropriate
initargs to the slot specs in the defclass. Of course it's proving to
be far more complex than I imagined when I started. The MOP stuff was
inspired by Kevin Rosenberg's use of MOP in clsql and seemed like a
good idea at the time. The FFI stuff was going swimmingly using the
interface database and the reader macros until I decided to put yet
another layer of indirection around all that stuff, at which point
things got messy in a hurry.

Thanks again,

Cyrus