[Openmcl-devel] cocoa and unicode

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Sep 22 09:53:49 PDT 2004

A "unichar" in the Cocoa libraries is an unsigned 16-bit integer.  I -think-
that that implies that a string composed of "unichar"s is UTF-16 encoded;
it's also possible that some of this code was written at a time when 16
bits was presumed to be enough bits to encode any interesting character (I
think that that was true in some earlier versions of the Unicode standard;
I think that you'd now need ~21 bits.)

I think that it's possible to map from 7-bit characters (ASCII or the
equivalent ISO charset) to UTF-16 without having to escape anything:

(defun 7-bit-string-to-utf-16 (s p)
  "p points to a block of memory that contains 2 bytes for each char in s"
  (do* ((i 0 (1+ i))
        (j 0 (+ j 2)))
       ((= i (length s)))
    (setf (%get-unsigned-word p j) (char-code (char s i)))))

If the #x80 bit is on in the lisp char code, it may be a little harder;
if OpenMCL actually supported Unicode, some of this would be easier (at
least for people -using- that support.)