[Openmcl-devel] Shark

Dan Knapp dankna at accela.net
Sat Apr 9 19:16:32 PDT 2005

   I've spent a little time messing with Shark, using a modified version
of the code
Hamilton posted in October.  I've attached my version of his file, in
case it's
useful to anybody; it just makes a couple trivial changes to output all
the
symbols in a specified package, instead of only one symbol at a time.

   I am seeing weird behavior when I try to actually use this code.
Shark fails to
identify most of the symbols; well, that's not necessarily a bug.  But
it claims that
most of the time is spent in functions which I know weren't being
called, since
they are in a totally different program module.  It also claims that
functions which
I know did run for at least several seconds weren't called at all.  In
other words,
somehow the symbol addresses Shark gets are wrong.  How can that be?  I
thought the call to (ccl::purify) moved function definitions into a
read-only area,
where they wouldn't be moved again...  Are functions being aggressively
inlined?

   In an old post, Gary, you mentioned that there was a way to get
OpenMCL to
cough up what function a given address is in.  That might be a bit
helpful in
diagnosing this problem.  How does that work?

   For now, I'm just going to do my profiling the old-fashioned way,
putting timers
around each of the functions I suspect of being problematic.  So I
don't really
need to solve these Shark issues for myself, right now, but it would be
great to
have a general framework for others to use.

-- Dan Knapp