[Openmcl-devel] openmcl future features

alex crain alexcrain at mail.widgetworks.com
Mon Aug 1 14:11:11 PDT 2005

Coincidentally, I just starting looking at this again today, after
putting everything down for a few months in order to go make some money.

My approach to this problem was to assemble what I felt were the core
essentials: editor, listener, inspector and enough common glue to create
more interface parts as needed. When I stopped working in May, I had
those parts plus a few more assembled into a package that could be
developed independently from the CCL core.

Unfortunately, May was when Apple released Tiger which solidly broke
the world, or at least my part of it, and I've been too distracted to
fix anything.

Anyway, once the core was more or less working, I asked myself the
same question that you just posed to the group and decided that what I
wanted was a tool that I could use to create new apps with, like xcode.

That gets a little tricky with COCOA because of the event loop - you
need to be able to develop an app with the IDE in place and in
foreground
and then run the app as a standalone application without the IDE (or
at least make the IDE dormant and invisible).

Anyway, my list would look like this:

Editor
Listener
Debugger (Step, Trace, Stack viewer)
Bundle Manager
Documentation manager - Lisp docs and external class descriptions
integrated with the editor
ham sandwich, grilled in butter with swiss cheese and dijon mustard.
Inspector for objects, packages, bundles, classes
class map viewer