[Openmcl-devel] OpenMCL funding and development priorities

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Mon Aug 29 09:52:03 PDT 2005

On Aug 29, 2005, at 8:00 AM, Gail Zacharias wrote:

> We (Clozure) are committed to OpenMCL's future, but to remain a viable
> business, we have to give priority to paid projects.  This means that
> OpenMCL will primarily develop in those directions that our paying
> clients
> need and pay for - whether directly (by funding some specific OpenMCL
> development) or indirectly (by buying support and development for their
> application that requires us to improve OpenMCL as a side-effect).
> Areas
> that do not have funding can only be supported on a volunteer or spare
> time basis, which will necessarily be slower and more spotty.
>
> So the answer is the same for PPC architecture, Linux, the OpenMCL IDE
> and anything else - the honest answer is yes if there are clients
> willing
> to pay for it, otherwise - maybe.  If you have a funded project, you
> can
> ensure OpenMCL will continue to meet your needs by writing OpenMCL
> support
> into your budget/grant.

For the first time ever I just had a look at http://www.clozure.com/.

I've always wondered, but never bothered to ask, how is OpenMCL funded?
  What parts of OpenMCL are currently getting the paid development
support?

Also, with Apple's move to Intel, is a Linux/x86 OpenMCL in the future?
(or perhaps some other Linux/intel architecture since Apple, to my
knowledge, hasn't been too specific about what the final Intel CPU will
be other than the dev boxes using the PIV).