[Openmcl-devel] Can't access Interface Database files from application bundle

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Fri Jan 28 14:19:51 PST 2005

I've been trying to get OpenMCL to access the CDB files when launched
from an application bundle in Finder.  I've had no joy.  I have used a
symlink that was found by CCL::CCL-DIRECTORY.  I've also used
CCL::SETENV to set "CCL_DEFAULT_DIRECTORY".  I can access the CDB files
just fine if I run openmcl from Terminal or M-x slime.  The problem
only exists when running from an application bundle.

When it works:

$ openmcl
Welcome to OpenMCL Version (Beta: Darwin) 0.14.2-p1!
? (ccl::ccl-directory)
#P"/Users/david/usr/src/ccl/"
? (describe 'ccl::setenv)
Symbol: CCL::SETENV
Function
INTERNAL in package: #<Package "CCL">
Print name: "SETENV"
Value: #<Unbound>
Function: #<Compiled-function CCL::SETENV #x60E254E>
Arglist: (CCL::KEY CCL::VALUE &OPTIONAL CCL::OVERWRITE)
Plist: NIL
?

When it doesn't:

CL-USER> (ccl::ccl-directory)
#P"/Users/david/usr/src/ccl/"
CL-USER> (describe 'ccl::setenv)
Symbol: CCL::SETENV
; Warning: Interface file #4P"ccl:darwin-headers;carbon;records.cdb"
does not exist.
; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
; Warning: Interface file #4P"ccl:darwin-headers;libc;records.cdb" does
not exist.
; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
; Warning: Interface file #4P"ccl:darwin-headers;carbon;types.cdb" does
not exist.
; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
; Warning: Interface file #4P"ccl:darwin-headers;libc;types.cdb" does
not exist.
; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
Function
INTERNAL in package: #<Package "CCL">
Print name: "SETENV"
Value: #<Unbound>
Function: #<Compiled-function CCL::SETENV #x60E1E46>
Arglist: (CCL::KEY CCL::VALUE &OPTIONAL CCL::OVERWRITE)
Plist: NIL
; No value
CL-USER>

In the second example, I'm using M-x slime-connect to connect to a
running instance that has SWANK compiled in.

This almost smells like a file permission issue except that
(ccl::getenv "USER") => "david".