[Openmcl-devel] More Intel: Rosetta & Universal Binaries

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Fri Jun 10 07:44:01 PDT 2005

On Jun 10, 2005, at 10:26 AM, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:

> Some of us have noted in other fora that Apple have been pushing Cocoa
> and Xcode for quite some time. Some of us have considered that Apple
> was not so subtly hinting that taking the Carbon or
> Carbon/CodeWarrior  path was one day going to lead to a world of pain.
> Some have speculated that this might explain why all of Apple's own
> applications were done in Cocoa with the sole exceptions of legacy
> apps from Mac OS Classic such as Finder and iTunes. Some have even
> speculated that Apple has been pushing Cocoa/Xcode because this
> pairing has been capable of cross compiling for years and that Steve
> "Marklar" Jobs has been "keeping our options open."

I seem to recall that it was also observed that new features in Tiger
also exist as Carbon apps (Spotlight) and that Carbon doesn't seem to
be going away any time soon.  Instead, it keeps getting new APIs.

Xcode also continues to keep Carbon open as a target and apps are
allowed to use both Cocoa and Carbon APIs.

If Metroworks can't do Cocoa, then that is indeed a strike against it.
A rather hard strike indeed.  I was thinking more about Apple pushing
Xcode over, say, Lispworks or any other possible development
environment (like OpenMCL).