[Openmcl-devel] More Intel: Rosetta & Universal Binaries

Hamilton Link hamlink at comcast.net
Fri Jun 10 17:07:49 PDT 2005

Color me non-religious but I don't see what the big deals are, except
that openmcl (mostly GB) has its work cut out for it over the next
couple of years...

On Jun 10, 2005, at 8:44 AM, David Steuber wrote:
> If Metroworks can't do Cocoa, then that is indeed a strike against it.
>  A rather hard strike indeed.  I was thinking more about Apple pushing
> Xcode over, say, Lispworks or any other possible development
> environment (like OpenMCL).

Wait a second. Lispworks already compiles to intel, under Windows and
linux, I can't imagine it will take them long to come up with a port.
Same with Allegro. In fact I'd hazard that far more mac-targeted
compilers already target wintel than vice versa. So while the porting
hilarity will be a hassle compilers aren't being left in the cold
unless they've historically been Mac-only.

Apple's pushing XCode as an assertion that for the 90% audience a
solution already exists.  If you don't run with the pack, like those of
us on this list, then sometimes the bear eats you. Or some such.

On Jun 10, 2005, at 9:36 AM, Raffael Cavallaro wrote:
> I know I would not have bought the dual g5 tower on my desk if I had
> known Apple was moving to intel down the road. I wouldn't have bought
> the 17" PowerBook I own.  Now multiply this by millions of customers
> and realize that Apple would have gone under in much the same way as
> Osborne did back in the '80s if they put the fortunes of LispWorks  or
> MCL ahead of their own.

I suppose if I had gotten a dual g5 I might have expected it to last
more than through '06 and '07... but I doubt it. I have an ibook, and
emac, a PC laptop and desktop, and one boat anchor---I'd have 3 boat
anchors except I sucked it up and ditched the oldest one, and the
newest one got its innards completely replaced.

I'll probably get an intel-based Mac as soon as they hit the shelves,
or close, to see how much faster windows emulation is (for games!) and
to help with the openmcl port in whatever way I can, but I strongly
suspect that by the time my ibook/emac are no longer supported I'll be
using them as paperweight/server instead of as primary machines.