[Openmcl-devel] C-c C-c of a function referencing a large constant takes a long time to compile

David Steuber david at david-steuber.com
Sat Jun 25 14:17:31 PDT 2005

On Jun 25, 2005, at 10:25 AM, Brian Mastenbrook wrote:
> Hi David,
>
> You say "If I have openmcl running in a terminal, the same function
> will recompile instantly." - what does "recompile" mean? Are you sure
> that you're calling COMPILE on it? I remember mentions of bad
> performance when compiling constants on openmcl-devel - this could be
> my memory playing tricks on me, though.

I was actually copy-pasting the function from Emacs to OpenMCL running
in the terminal.  Just to be sure, I did COMPILE:

? (compile 'decode-next-letter)
DECODE-NEXT-LETTER
NIL
NIL

OpenMCL is a compiler only implementation AFAIK, so function
definitions are all compiled anyway.

SLIME or Swank (perhaps the swank-openmcl backend) are definitely doing
something to make this take a long time.  I just have no idea how to
figure out what.  If +letter-frequency-hypercube+ is being expanded
into a temp file, that would certainly be very suspect.  If it's just
the symbol, then I'm barking in the wrong direction.

The dfsl file that holds the definition to +letter-frequency-hypercube+
is about 12MB.