[Openmcl-devel] stream-read-sequence

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Jun 27 03:27:08 PDT 2005

On Fri, 24 Jun 2005, Geoff Cant wrote:

> I'm also interested in the stream-read-sequence stuff for porting
> cl-ssl (from portableaserve) to openmcl. Is it a case of defining
> stream-read-sequence as a generic function then have the default
> method call read-sequence with the arguments reversed?
>
> --Geoff

[I'm on the road and don't have a very good net connection at the moment,
so there may be even more typos here than usual ... ]

What Geoff suggests would work fine.  If a stream class offers special
methods for reading or writing vectors (or, less likely, lists),
READ-SEQUENCE and WRITE-SEQUENCE will call those methods.

The original Gray streams proposal was written before READ-SEQUENCE
and WRITE-SEQUENCE were added to CL, and some implementations add (and
OpenMCL once added) STREAM-READ-SEQUENCE and STREAM-WRITE-SEQUENCE in
an attempt to address this omission; it seems preferable to specialize
things at a somewhat lower level, to handle :START and :END args and
non-simple vector cases in the caller and let the stream-specific
methods concentrate on BLTing things around.