[Openmcl-devel] save-application and :toplevel-function

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Sep 7 15:28:34 PDT 2005

There's a loop in the kernel that calls the toplevel function repeatedly
until it's null.  (So yes, this behavior is intentional, but some of the
reasons for it are historical and ... not well remembered, at least by
me.)

The loop does something like:

(loop
   (catch :toplevel
     (let* ((f (<current-thread-toplevel-function>)))
      (if (null f)
        (return)
       (funcal f)))))

There's also a function:

(CCL::%SET-TOPLEVEL &OPTIONAL FUNCTION-OR-NIL)
which updates the current thread's <current-thread-toplevel-function>
and returns its old value ; calling it with no arguments simply returns
the current value.

and calling

(CCL::TOPLEVEL)

does (THROW :TOPLEVEL NIL).  (It'd be better if the catch tag in the kernel
loop was something a little more private/anonymous.)

If you look at the function SAVE-IMAGE (in "ccl:lib;dumplisp.lisp"),
you'll see that both the process of exiting (and ensuring that an
image is written) and the process of restarting the saved image
involve calls to these functions.  When an image starts up, the
initial thread's toplevel function is a closure which establishes the
user-specified toplevel function and calls CCL::RESTORE-LISP-POINTERS
(which is also defined in that file.)  CCL::RESTORE-LISP-POINTERS does
a lot of initialization (re-creates standard streams, reinitializes
foreign function entrypoints, runs a set of "system" and "user" startup
functions) and, when it returns, the user-specified toplevel function
is (finally) run.