[Openmcl-devel] async signals

Gábor Melis mega at hotpop.com
Fri Sep 16 06:32:09 PDT 2005

On Thursday 01 September 2005 10:47, Gary Byers wrote:
> Every time that I've tried to convince myself that unwinding should
> ignore or defer asynchronous interrupts - and have convinced myself
> that I understood just when unwinding started, when it ended, and
> when it was prematurely exited - I convince myself that that's
> undesirable and less tractable than it'd first seemed.  I'm currently
> on the latter end of that pendulum, but it was swinging the other
> way a few weeks ago.

Heh, that's familiar.

> > I've read that openmcl checks for pending interrupts at
> > safe-points.
>
> Where, out of curiousity, did you read this ?  (It's not true, but it
> used to be.  Lisp code can interrupted basically at any time (unless
> WITHOUT-INTERRUPTS is in effect.)  The "internals" documentation on
> the website is several years old and is maybe 50% accurate; I think
> that there's a disclaimer to that effect somewher

Sorry, I read everything under the sun (or google), but I can't recall
where it was.

I have an implementation for sbcl that's mostly working, with the design
decisions detailed in this mail:

http://www.caddr.com/macho/archives/sbcl-devel/2005-9/6018.html

Come to think of it, I should have probably CCed openmcl-devel in that
mail. It is by no means final, comments are welcome.

Cheers, Gábor