[Openmcl-devel] questions on openmcl re 64 bit PPC, asdf-install, etc.

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Fri Apr 28 18:30:42 PDT 2006

On Fri, 28 Apr 2006, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> I have this on a PowerMac.  Is it reasonably working or should I go
> to normal 32 bit version?  I am a bit confused around the seeming
> paucity of interface database files.  Generally I am more used to
> sbcl which doesn't have such things.    Is it really necessary to
> have these bits exposed?

I'm not sure that I understand the question.

Apple doesn't provide 64-bit PPC versions of any libraries other
that libSystem (roughly equivalent to libc).  There have been times
(a "security update" last fall) when Apple's accidentally neglected
to provide a 64-bit version of libSystem, but a few days of angry
phone calls supposedly straightened that problem out.

It's not clear to me how hot providing interfaces for things
that (unfortunately) aren't callable from 64-bit PPC Darwin
applications "exposed any bits", or exactly what would have
been a better alternative.