[Openmcl-devel] with-autorelease-pool question

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Mon Aug 21 23:29:49 PDT 2006

Sorry; I don't use SLIME and often forget that things are a little
different in that environment.

If you macroexpand a call to WITH-AUTORELEASE-POOL, you'll see that
it's just something like (function names etc are from memory and
probably not too accurate)

(let* ((#:pool (create-autorelease-pool)))
   (unwind-protect
       , at body
     (send pool 'release)))

The primitive that I'm remembering as CREATE-AUTORELEASE-POOL
just (as one would expect) creates an instance of NSAutoreleasePool
(which I may not be capitalizing correctly) and makes it the
"autoRelease" messages (again, beware of capitialization issues)
in the extent of the body are added to the current thread's active
pool, and sending the pool a "release" message first sends "release"
messages to all of the objects that've been added to it, then
makes the thread's previous pool (if it had one) active before
deallocating the pool object itself.

The (non-SLIME) listener colon-commands just do things like
"release the current pool and establish a new one" and "show
information about the current' thread's active pool".  You
ordinarily want autorelease pools to nest dynamically; the
idea of the listener support in "real" listener threads is
that it's better to have a static pool that can be maintained
manually than it would be to get flooded with messages telling
you that no pool is in place.

You can suppress these messages in a SLIME REPL just by calling
CREATE-AUTORELEASE-POOL (or whatever it's called) in the SLIME
REPL, and if you poke around in the sources you can probably
find the primitives that the other colon-commands uses.