[Openmcl-devel] Events, Windows, and OpenMCL

Brent Fulgham bfulg at pacbell.net
Sun Dec 10 13:40:40 PST 2006

In playing with the MCL 5.1 demo program, I notice that the Window
class included in the image allows one to instantiate the window, and
it immediately pops up:

Welcome to the demo version of Macintosh Common Lisp Version 5.1!
? (defvar *T* (make-instance 'window))
*T*

The window identifies itself as part of the MCL program (at least, no
separate process or tray icon is created), and I continue to be able
to interact with the MCL console to create new forms, etc.

I've written (or rather, stolen) a window implementation based on
Mikel's Clotho/Bosco stuff, and so I also get a nice window to pop up
from my OpenMCL session.  However, my window is "dead" in that it
doesn't respond to events though I can update images in a graphic
context embedded in the window.

I fully understand that the problem is that the window I generated is
not being serviced by any kind of an event/message loop.  However, if
I were to do so from the constructor of the window I would end up
with a "locked" OpenMCL console since it would never return from the
window (until the event loop was exited).

So, I see a few options and I'm curious if anyone can provide context/
suggestions for the right way to go.

1.  Each window could be launched in its own thread which would
execute the run-loop.  I'm not sure if there would be any threading
concerns here, but I imagine this would be a fairly simple approach.
However, examining the MCL running image with the OS X development
tool "Thread Viewer" shows no new threads created as I open windows.
So, another possibility is:

2.  A single event loop thread could be started if the "Carbon" or
"Cocoa" environments were activated in OpenMCL.  New windows could be
created, then this thread could be notified to begin servicing the
windows as part of its event loop.  I'm guessing this is the approach
MCL uses but of course have no way of knowing.

Does anyone have any comments (or dire warnings) about either of
these approaches?

Thanks,

-Brent