[Openmcl-devel] Plans for Unicode support within OpenMCL?

Tom Emerson tree at dreamersrealm.net
Wed Mar 22 06:08:05 PST 2006

I agree that UTF-8 is convenient, but there is no reason you cannot
hash UTF-16 values. Python, to cite one example, has a Unicode string
type that hashes very well.

I strongly believe that *internal* representation must be separated
from *external* representation. The external representation of a
Unicode string, that which is displayed, should probably be UTF-8 for
all the reasons you give. But internally UTF-8 is suboptimal.

Plan 9 is one example of an application that uses UTF-8 internal.
Sure. Mac OS X is a much more widely used, real world, system that
does not. It uses UTF-16. I don't see UTF-8 as being an overly
efficient representation for Unicode if your primary interest is in
string processing. You have no hope of direct indexing into the
string without extra data structures. It only saves you space if you
work in ASCII, otherwise it is no better than or worse than UTF-16.

Programmers should not need to worry about character representation:
whether you need to deal with UTF-8 or transcode to a 'rune' to
manipulate the characters.

CLISP's implementation strategy is worth looking at here, I think.

     -tree

---
Tom Emerson
tree at dreamersrealm.net