[Openmcl-devel] Managing multi-threaded access to list

David L. Rager ragerdl at cs.utexas.edu
Sun May 28 18:29:53 PDT 2006

Ah, you are correct.  In my project I don't use the return value all the
time, because I throw threads a lot, requiring some unwinds and the
semaphore notification object.

(loop while *consumers-stay-alive*
  (when (timed-wait-on-semaphore *packet-list-semaphore* 60)
        (consume-packet-no-hang)))

Ah, yes.  Much better.

I forget where the race condition was... I may have been wrong about that,
but there was something going through my mind....  I think the above is fine
though, because consume-packet-no-hang evaluates iff the semaphore is
acquired.

GL,
David