[Openmcl-devel] ICU sketch

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Apr 25 03:36:42 PDT 2007

The Fink project (<http://www.finkproject.org>) seems to provide
packages which provide headers intended to describe the ICU
functionality that's built into CoreFoundation for recent OSX.  (Some
of the Fink packages seem to only be available in Fink's unstable
trees.)

I've just started to look at it, but it -might- be the case that:
  - this would all be usable without requiring that Fink or any
    other third-party libraries be involved
  - it'd be usable via some combination of (use-interface-dir :icu)
    and (open-shared-library "CoreFoundation.framework/CoreFoundation")
    on OSX and via (open-shared-library "libicu...") on other platforms
    and where the interfaces are generated from the Fink-provided
    headers.
  - the ICU code that Apple builds into CoreFoundation is complete
    or nearly complete (e.g., equivalent to the functionality you'd
    have available if you downloaded corresponding ICU sources and
    built ICU yourself, but possibly installed in some Apple-specific
    places.)

I hadn't even been aware that Apple distributed ICU in any form until
you mentioned it the other day, and naturally started Googling to
try to find out more about what was where.  One link led me to an
email thread, where someone was claiming that they'd have to drop
support for Panther because the version of ICU that Apple shipped
with Panther didn't provide Unicode regular-expression support.  One
interpretation of that message was that the version incorporated into
later OS releases -did- provide that support, which would be good news
from the "complete or nearly complete" standpoint.

The bad news about this is that the version of libicucore.dylib
(and presumably everything built into CoreFoundation) is 32-bit only
on Tiger.  (I guess that the good news is that the iPhone will ship
on time ...)