[Openmcl-devel] Cocoa IDE and ccl-init

Raffael Cavallaro raffaelcavallaro at mac.com
Sun Dec 2 09:56:52 PST 2007

On Dec 2, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Gail Zacharias wrote:

> I also don't disagree that it's not the end of the world to have to
> learn that *listener-output-font-name* has certain restrictions on
> its possible use as a way to view and/or change the listener output
> font name.  But (listener-output-font-name), or perhaps even
> (user-preference "Listener Output Font Name"), makes the restrictions
> more intuitive, makes it easier to have fewer such restrictions if we
> choose to, and doesn't seem to have much a down side.  So given a
> choice between the two, I still think it'd be a better design to have
> an API that uses functions rather than variables.

I'm a little leery of entering this discussion, but fools rush in
where angels fear to tread, so that at least qualifies me ;^)

It may be worth noting in this context that it is already possible to
use the command line to change user preferences. From a terminal:

defaults write "com.clozure.Clozure CL" cclDirectory "/Users/raffaelc/
Developer/lisp/ccl/"

will actually change the user preference stored in ~/Preferences/
com.clozure.Clozure CL.plist and it is visible in Clozure CL.app at
least after restarting the IDE - I would say that the need for a
restart is a cacheing bug in the IDE, but that's possibly a matter of
preference (pun intended).

In any event, providing an API like:

(defaults-write 'ccl-directory "/Users/raffaelc/Developer/lisp/ccl/")

(defualts-write 'hyperspec-lookup-enabled nil)

etc., and loading the (possibly) modified preference file *after*
dialog stuff and lisp stuff from an init file.

In addition, as long as the current convention for mapping from
camelCase to lisp-speak is maintained, the preference values to be
written would be self documenting in the plist file.

just my $.02

regards,

Ralph

Raffael Cavallaro, Ph.D.