[Openmcl-devel] asdf location

Daniel Dickison danieldickison at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 04:55:51 PST 2007

On Dec 6, 2007, at 4:00 AM, Greg Pfeil wrote:

> You might want to look into ASDF-Binary-Locations (http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-containers/asdf-binary-locations/
> ). It allows you to centralize your ASDF systems by putting the fasls
> into implementation-specific subdirectories. And it helps you avoid
> stale fasl errors when your favorite impl changes the fasl format.
>
> I like ~/Library/..., but on my machine it (like ~/.sbcl/...) will
> just be a symlink to ~/.asdf-install-dir, so I don't have to remember
> which libraries have been installed for which implementations.

Including ASDF-Binary-Locations with the CCL IDE would be very nice,
and would provide a clean way to deal with stale FASLs when a new
version of the IDE is installed -- just make sure to increment
*openmcl-minor-version* when incompatible FASL changes are made, and
new binaries will automagically be compiled into a new FASLs folder.

As for the specific directory, I would vote for ~/Library/Application
Support/Clozure CL/asdf-registry/
There's a case to be made for a common ASDF registry for various Lisp
implementations to go in ~/Library/Lisp/asdf-registry, but I think the
default for the IDE should be a CCL-specific one in Application
Support.  People who want shared ASDF systems will more likely be
willing/able to customize the CCL IDE to look in the common registry
than the other way around.

Daniel