[Openmcl-devel] asdf location

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Thu Dec 6 08:20:11 PST 2007

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007, Daniel Dickison wrote:

> On Dec 6, 2007, at 10:59 AM, Gary Byers wrote:
>
>> Yes, I mentioned this in a long message that I wrote last night.
>> Foundation functions aren't accessible to the command-line lisp,
>> I don't know of any way to get the localized name from
>> the BSD/POSIX layer.
>>
>> (And unfortunately, part of the trick that allows (REQUIRE "COCOA")
>> to morph a command-line tool into a windowed application depends
>> on not linking against Foundation - not loading the library unless/until
>> a fake CFBundle path is set up.)
>

> I see -- I must have missed that post.  Is there a similar limitation with
> using Carbon?  In Folders'h there's a function called FSFindFolder which
> seems to do basically the same thing:
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Reference/Folder_Manager/Reference/reference.html#//apple_ref/c/func/FSFindFolder

I'm glad to report that I'm not hallucinating.  (Well, not about having
sent that message, at least):

<http://www.clozure.com/pipermail/openmcl-devel/2007-December/004171.html>

The limitation has to do with how CFBundle (in Core Foundation) finds
and caches the main application bundle when some component of Core
Foundation is initialized.  Anything that uses Core Foundation basically
can't be loaded unless (a) we set an environment variable to say
"the bundle is over there", as is done in (require "COCOA") or (b)
we want to give up on being able to do that later.