[Openmcl-devel] Setting time out value when creating a connected stream socket with MAKE-SOCKET

Erik Huelsmann ehuels at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 04:10:27 PST 2007

On 12/26/07, Gary Byers <gb at clozure.com> wrote:

Thanks for your long reply. From your reply I learned - again - that
its hard to be concise when posing a question. I'll try to be more
exact in this mail.

> Way back when (when threads were cooperatively scheduled), all
> socketes were created non-blocking; you couldn't block indefinitely
> waiting for network I/O without locking out the lisp scheduler,
> so there was code that handled the EAGAIN/EWOULDBLOCK error that's
> returned when an I/O operation on a non-blocking socket can't
> complete immediately, and the lisp scheduler would do periodic
> short-lived #_select calls to try to determine which thread's
> sockets were ready to do I/O and which threads should therefore
> get activated.

There are actually 3 'types' of time outs:

1) When calling connect()
2) When calling read()
3) When calling write()

Your answer addresses the last 2. The requestee on the Drakma mailing
list implemented behaviour for the last 2 too. My question however was
about the first item.

I wasn't asking about - although I'm interested in - the last 2
because I'm working on a select() like interface for item 2 (hopefully
followed by something which also supports item 3). [I try to take
small steps at a time.] There are a lot of problems associated with
using non-blocking sockets the way usocket currently works. This is
why select() can be made to work for read() - given blocking sockets.
Being able to specify a timeout before a certain minimum amount of
data has been received (using SO_RCVTIMEO/SO_SNDTIMEO) is very
attractive, but a bit too complicated for me to handle at this time.
I'll come back to that at a later stage.

It doesn't seem possible - without the cooperation of the
implementation - to limit the time out value for connect(). Several
implementations do provide the facilities to specify the time out on
connect (Allegro provides WITH-TIMEOUT, CLISP a :TIMEOUT key
argument).

> That's all (thankfully) gone, but there's still some low-level
> I/O code that basically says "it'd be better to wait forever
> in #_select than to wait forever in #_read",

Right. Luckily, I wasn't trying to get a lisp-side thread-scheduler
implemented, rather I'm trying to give applications control over how
long a thread blocks on certain calls.

> Using non-blocking sockets and a #_select timeout was the traditional way of doing this,but it doesn't always work a whole lot better in C programs
> than it would in Lisp programs.

True, but even though the interface may be 'clumsy' or non-intuitive
to beginning network programmers, it has worked 'perfectly' for a long
time for many network related programs. The key here is - I believe -
to leave handling of the waiting part to the calling application: that
way, it can decide to do "other stuff" such as processing non-network
related signals etc. Doing all that correctly is - however - not
trivial.

> Modern Unices define socket options (#$SO_RCVTIMEO and
> #$SO_SNDTIMEO) that cause reads and writes that block longer
> than the specified time to return EAGAIN/EWOULDBLOCK.  So:

Yes, but the Unix Sockets FAQ (see
http://www.developerweb.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-3439.html)
suggests that the way they are implemented differs greatly among the
implementing OSes, meaning that it's very hard to make use of them in
portable code. The easiest way to create portable code would then be
using non-blocking sockets and select().

> - If we only care about setting timeout options on socket creation,
> it'd be fairly straightforward to add :READ-TIMEOUT and :WRITE-TIMEOUT
> options to MAKE-SOCKET and arrange that those options set the
> appropriate socket options.  (It'd be harder to set these options
> on the fly, though that might be possible.)

Looking at LispWorks, they provide the read/write timeout at socket
creation time, meaning that I won't get much further with usocket than
that. If you were to implement this 'solely' for the purpose of
usocket consumers, it'd be fine if it were handled at socket creation
time.

> - any current code in CCL that handles EAGAIN as a transient
> condition on a non-blocking fd should be changed to signal
> a timeout error if the fd in question is blocking.  (If the
> fd in question is non-blocking, they may want to ask how
> it got that way ...)

Hmm. That would mean a complete screening of all uses of raw FDs in
all stream code? Sounds like quite a task.

> Would that do it (assuming that #$SO_RCVTIMEO and #$SO_SNDTIMEO
> are implemented on all interesting platforms ?)

Yes, that would, except that it doesn't address the concern I tried to
get addressed primarily (for now): limited timeout on connect() calls.
Would it be simpler to address timeout on connect()? If so, would it
not be better we handle that first?

bye,

Erik.