[Openmcl-devel] Starting OpenMCL 64

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Wed Feb 21 18:28:54 PST 2007

Somepne ran into this (at least the same symptom) and reported it on an
internal mailing list a few days ago.

In their case, the problem was fixed by recompiling the lisp kernel:

shell> cd ccl/lisp-kernel/linuxx8664
shell> make clean
shell> make

[If the version of GCC installed is older than 4.0 and GCC 4.x is
installed, it may be  necessary to do the last step as:

shell> make "CC=gcc4" # if gcc 4.0 is installed as "gcc4"

Older GCC versions seem to have problems compiling OpenMCL's GC
correctly.

].

The problem seems to stem from the fact that the kernel shipped in the
070214 tarball was compiled (and linked) on Fedora Core 6; previous
versions had used FC5 or earlier.

I don't know what the exact problem is; in the past, there have been
cases where a kernel linked on some version of some distro will cause
the dynamic linker on some other distro to complain that the libraries
it finds at runtime are too old/too new for the kernel.  I'd guess that
this is a related (but more severe-looking) problem.