[Openmcl-devel] CLX crash - crash harder - burn

Gary Byers gb at clozure.com
Tue Jan 16 01:25:10 PST 2007

My guess seems to have been at least half right.

CLX uses the low-level functions CCL:STREAM-READ-IVECTOR and
CCL:STREAM-WRITE-IVECTOR to do low-level transfer of octets
between a stream and a (SIMPLE-ARRAY <immediate-type> (*)).
Those functions are actually documented and somewhat useful.

BLTing octets between a stream's buffer and a SIMPLE-BASE-STRING
via these functions used to be well-defined (since the string
was just a sequence of octets.)  It's less well-defined now,
since (a) the internal representation of a string doesn't
exactly correspond to most external representations and (b)
variable-length character encodings can further confuse the
issue.

Fascinating as that may (or may not ...) be, the problem exposed in
the CLX case included some confusion over whether the socket used
to communicate with the X server was a binary stream.  Using
CCL:STREAM-READ-IVECTOR to read from the socket into a a vector
of (UNSIGNED-BYTE 8)s wound up calling a method that treated
the target vector as if it were a string (and expanded each octet
from the stream into a 32-bit character, filling the buffer with
garbage and stepping on anything near it in memory, leading to
the kinds of symptoms that you reported.)

I think that this is straightend out in CVS now.